Find quick information in Big White's Fast Facts, the Top 10 Reasons to Visit, open and close dates for the resort, browse a brief overview on the Okanagan Area, and our Past Opening Dates for each season with the tabs below.
- 56 km (35 miles) from Kelowna to Village Centre. East/southeast of Kelowna from Hwy 97 via Hwy 33 and Big White Road.
- 45 km (30 miles) from Kelowna to the Westridge base.
- Airport Shuttle available from Kelowna Airport.
2. Winter Hours of Operation:
- 2014/2015 Season: November 27th, 2014 to April 12th, 2015 (Usually late November to mid-April)
- Day Skiing: 8:45am - 3:30pm Daily
- Night Skiing: 3:30pm - 8:00pm Tuesday to Saturday
*Night Skiing times vary at different times of the season
3. Annual Snowfall:
- 750 cm (24.5 ft) average
4. 16 Lifts:
5. Total Uphill Capacity:
- 28,000 skiers per hour
- 20 million Vertical Transport Feet (VTF) per hour
- Resort Area: 7,355 acres (3,052 hectares)
- Patrolled Area: 2,765 acres (1,147 hectares)
- Groomed Area: 905 acres (367 hectares)
- Alpine and Glades: 1,525 acres (618 hectares)
- Western Canada’s Largest Resort Night Skiing Area: 38 acres (15 hectares)
- Summit: 2,319m (7,606 ft)
- Village Centre: 1,755m (5,757 ft)
- Westridge Base: 1,508m (4,950 ft)
- 118 Designated Trails
- 18% Beginner
- 54% Intermediate
- 22% Expert
- 6% Extreme
- Longest Run: 7.2 km (4.5 miles) - Around the World Route - it runs from the top of the T-Bar to Bottom of Gem Lake
- Total of 105km (65 miles) of marked runs
9. Vertical Drop:
- 777 m (2,550 ft)
10. TELUS Park:
- Boarder/Skier-Cross course that can be tuned up to run regional, national, and World Cup events
- Beginner/Intermediate and Intermediate/Advanced lanes combined with Rails and Jumps
11. Cross Country:
- Big White offers 14 km (8 miles) of incredible Nordic trails groomed with state of the art grooming equipment for both skate and classic technique
12. Ski and Weather Conditions:
- Online Mountain Forecast (average daytime temperature -5 Celsius)
*Big White usually closes mid April and doesn't record snowfall past the closing date for that season.
|2007-2012||Average Min Temp||Average Max Temp||Total Snowfall|
|December||-10.5C (13.1F)||-6.5C (20.3F)||132.0cm (52.0")|
|January||-9.0C (15.8F)||-5.0C (23.0F)||117.5cm (46.2")|
|February||-8.5C (16.7F)||-3.0C (26.6F)||109.0cm (42.9")|
|March||-8.5C (16.7F)||-1.5C (29.9F)||133.5cm (52.9")|
|April||-4.0C (24.8F)||-2.0C (28.4F)||40.0cm (15.7")|
Salmon Arm: 250.832.1181
- 3 Village Hotels
- 25 Condo/Town Home Complexes
- 244 Vacation Homes and Luxury Cabins
- 1 Ski-in ski-out Youth Hostel
- Dizzy's, home of North American's finest bootfitters. Located in the Village across from the Village Centre Mall.
- Ski Dazzle Ski Shop is in The Village Centre Mall and carries a wide range of clothing, equipment and souvenirs.
- The Village Rider located downstairs in the Village Centre Mall features an array of snowboards, snowboard paraphernalia and trendy styles.
- Down Under gift shop situated on the lower level of the Village Centre Mall carries an eclectic array of knick-knacks.
- Loose Moose Emporium, located in the village, has everything for kids 12 and under.
- Mountain Gear Specialist located in the Whitefoot Lodge above the grocery store, offers special gifts and Big White memorabilia.
15. Restaurants and Bars:
- Full array of facilities ranging from cafeterias to fine dining. A total of 19 restaurants, cafes and delis, which includes 8 lounges/bars.
- Entertainment and nightlife includes regular après-ski with live bands in bars and pubs.
16. Ski and Board School:
- Over 100 qualified instructors. Ski, Snowboard, Telemark; Private and Group Lessons. Special Improvement Camps; Kids Ski School voted #1 in Canada; Ladies Day, Seniors' Ski Club; Recreational Race Camps; TELUS Park Flight School & Heavy Metal Shops.
- Big White's Tot Town Day Care is unique, exciting and filled with activities and adventures. Children are kept busy with a mixture of indoor play and (weather permitting) outdoor activities. The Tot Town Daycare is for children aged 18 months to 5 years.
18. Snow Hosts:
- Complimentary mountain tours offered by our Snow Hosts. Snow Hosts meet daily in the Village at 10:30am.
- Ice Climbing Tower
- Mega Snow Coaster Tube Park
- Snowmobile Tours
- Mini Z Children's Snowmobiles
- Ice Skating
- Dog Sledding
- Horse Drawn Sleigh Rides
- Cross Country Skiing
- Spas: Elevation Village Spa & Beyond Wrapture Day Spa
- Family Events, Carnival Nights
- General/Deli/Liquor Store
- Internet Access
- Rental Shop
- Ski and Board Repair Shop
21. General Email:
22. Real Estate Sales Contacts:
- For information on building lots, chalets, and condominiums, please visit Royal LePage or call/email:
|Mobile #: 250.469.4754
Mobile #: 250.826.9991
If you’re after fantastic snow, don’t look any further than Big White!
“It’s the snow” is our motto and we live up to our name with an average 750cm (24.5ft) of Okanagan Champagne Powder falling annually. Our bountiful, dry powder is legendary and was awarded “Best Powder” by Ski Canada Magazine in 2008!
Located in the picturesque Okanagan Valley, Big White is uniquely blessed with sunny weather, dry powder and a mild average temperature of -5C (23 F). With 118 market runs fanning from the summit, 2,765 acres of skiable terrain, and 16 lifts, there‘s a great selection of terrain for everyone with deep powder bowls, wide-open glades, and great fall-line cruising.
For the ultimate park experience, head to our award winning TELUS Terrain Park which is the best progressive park in North America.
To top it off, slalom through the spectacular“Snowghosts” (snow caked trees) which create a magical backdrop in our winter playground.
As the largest totally ski-in, ski-out ski resort in Canada, you can experience the luxury of stepping straight out onto the slopes from our fantastic range of accommodation. There’s something for everyone whether it’s a luxurious self contained vacation home with a private hot tub, a cozy condominium or a welcoming hotel suite. Whatever you’re after, we have the makings for a memorable vacation.
You may be coming to Big White simply for the skiing and snowboarding, but you’ll soon discover you can have a true Canadian adventure.
You can explore snow covered hills by snowmobile, explore backcountry on cross country skis and snowshoes, sleigh ride through the wilderness or mush behind a husky.
As BC’s premier family destination, we have a great range of events and activities for the entire family including night skiing, snow tubing, ice skating, mini z’s, fireworks and carnivals just to name a few…
If you’re after relaxation, soak up the sunset in a steaming hot tub, sit by the fire sipping hot chocolate, tantalize your senses at one of the luxurious day spas or stroll through our enticing retail outlets.
After a day on the slopes, take your entertainment and dining experience to new heights with a feast of restaurants, lounges, coffee houses, delis, bakeries, cozy pubs and bars. Whatever you’re after, we have a scene to suit your pace.
Getting to Big White is easy, located just 56km (35miles) southeast of Kelowna there are plenty of travel options. Major airlines fly daily into Kelowna’s international airport which is the major gateway into BC’s interior.
Come to Big White for an unbeatable ski resort experience, we look forward to seeing you soon!
Historical Opening dates