Big White Ski Resort hosts Team BC final qualifier for Canada Winter Games 2015
BC Alpine finalized its Canada Winter Games selection Friday at Big White. The resort proudly boasts one of the most highly-regarded Ski Cross tracks in Western Canada.
The conclusion of these time trial events named the final four ski racers who will represent Team BC at the upcoming Canada Winter Games in Prince George.
Selection for the 10 CWG alpine spots was finalized earlier in the week, based on series points. Local Big White Racer Brooke Lukinuk, already named to the team, anxiously watched on with her teammates to see who would be joining them. The addition of the ski cross qualifiers brings the team total to 14 skiers.
As Friday, unfolded over 50 tenacious U16 racers from around the province laid everything on the line. “It’s been a busy time leading up to this moment and all athletes knew it would take something extra to secure a position,” said CWG’s head coach Justine Parent. “Many of these athletes have dedicated time for summer training on glaciers, intense dry-land programs starting last spring before hitting the training slopes in the fall and began race qualifications in Dec and Jan. This type of extra effort is what’s necessary to make the team."
With extremely close times and competition fierce it was Nicole Mah from Grouse Tyees and Sierra King from Whistler Mountain Ski Club with the speed required to join the ladies team. For the Fernie Alpine Ski club it was a clean sweep with Devin Mittertreiner and Ryan Finley rounding out the men’s team.
The newly minted team stayed in Big White over the weekend and trained to prepare as a team for the Games in an official training camp in the Telus Park Ski X track and a SL course set up on Paradise. Also joining them was assistant coach Wade Christie, a former World Cup Men’s National team member and a long time U16 head coach for Big White Racers.
Next stop for this enthusiastic crew is a speed camp and races including the Parsons Downhill and a SG in Whistler the beginning of February. These 14 elite athletes will then head north to compete in as many as 4 disciplines at the Games including Super G, Giant Slalom. Slalom and Ski X. Opening Ceremonies are Feb 13th on nationally televised TV.
Congratulations Team BC athletes!!
CWG Team BC Roster - Women:
1. Kristina Natalenko – Grouse Mountain Tyee Ski Club
2. Ella Renzoni – Whistler Mountain Ski Club
3. Katie Fleckenstein – Whistler Mountain Ski Club
4. Frances MacDonald – Grouse Mountain Tyee Ski Club
5. Brooke Lukinuk – Big White Racers/Kelowna Ski Club
6. Sierra King – Whistler Mountain Ski Club
7. Nicole Mah – Grouse Tyee Ski Club
CWG Team BC Roster - Men
1. Kasper Woolley – Whistler Mountain Ski Club
2. Kyle Alexander – Whistler Mountain Ski Club
3. Asher Jordan – Whistler Mountain Ski Club
4. Alexander Valentin – Whistler Mountain Ski Club
5. Gavin Donald – Vernon Ski Club
6. Devin Mittertreiner – Fernie Alpine Ski Team
7. Ryan Finley – Fernie Alpine Ski Team
CWG Team BC – COACHING STAFF
Justine Parent (BC Alpine)
Danielle Robson (Whistler Mountain Ski Club)
Wade Christie (Big White Racers/Kelowna Ski Club)