Ballingall appointed to CTC National Experts Advisory Committee
TOTA Past Chair Michael J. Ballingall has been appointed to a high-powered national committee of tourism industry experts whose role is to advise the Canadian Tourism Commission (CTC) on strategy for increasing business with emerging markets around the world.
Ballingall, who is Senior Vice-President for Marketing & Sales at Big White Ski Resort and Silver Star Mountain Resort, was named to CTC's 13-member Emerging Market Advisory Committee in July.
He joins Committee chair Michael Ruby, President of the Toronto-based Muskoka Language International, and a number of senior tourism officials from across the country, including: the Northwest Territories Director of Marketing; Banff-Lake Louise Tourism's CEO; the Quebec Ministry of Tourism's Director of Strategy; the B.C. government's Assistant Deputy Minister for Tourism; Air Canada's General Manager for Asia & Pacific; Fairmont Hotels & Resorts' Executive Director of Sales & Marketing; and VIA Rail's Senior Director of Domestic & International Sales.
CTC has identified India, Brazil, Japan, Mexico, South Korea and Chine as emerging markets for Canadian tourism - as opposed to the core markets of France, Germany, the U.K, the U.S. and Australia.
The mandate of the Emerging Markets Advisory Committee is to provide strategic and expert industry advice to the CTC's Board and management. CTC states the Committee's role is to:
- Foster discussion on matters of strategic sales and marketing importance pertaining to the Emerging Markets, to aid management direction-setting and Board decision-making.
- Provide a link to industry and coalesce an industry voice in the development of CTC's market goals and objectives.
- Review output from the Return-on-Investment Modal and other decision-making tools used by management, and advise on market changes and investment.
- Act as a sounding board to CTC management in optimizing performance of in-market sales and marketing programs.
- Act as ambassadors and a positive force in fostering industry understanding of CTC objectives, priorities and activities.